Sunday, 18 April 2010

FIKA



Fika is a Swedish verb that roughly means "to drink coffee", usually accompanied by something sweet on the side.  I think I may have posted about this before a while ago...
But basically Fika is a Swedish institution, and any excuse for a Swede to have a coffee break, with colleagues or friends. It's also usually a very sociable affair. 
 
Today our Swedish neighbours who only live here in the summer months, came to Fika at our house, with some fellow Swedish neighbours, who live here all year round.  Our full-time neighbours, we have seen each other to nod and wave to, but as they speak NO ENGLISH and us very little Swedish we haven't socialised.  So it was really lovely to get to know each other a little better with the help of our part-time neighbours LOL! Mats and Mavis who were our translators!







Our Fika was not quite the traditional, as I was keen to offer my guests some traditional English favourites, which were much appreciated.

I made a Victoria Sponge Cake with a Strawberry Jam and whipped cream filling. It was a Delia Smith recipe http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/sweet/victoria-sponge-cake.html 




VICTORIA SPONGE CAKE

And a Carrot Cake or Passion Cake, which ever you prefer to call it. Which is my own take on it, with walnuts and raisins added.  Covered in a cream cheese icing with grated lemon rind and walnuts to decorate.



CARROT CAKE

Not forgetting good old Marks and Spencers.  I had stashed away a Family Selection box of biscuits... The boys devoured them almost immediately!


M & S
 FAMILY BISCUIT SELECTION

If you would like an authentic Swedish Fika, a good link for recipes if you want to try out some Swedish baking is here 


3 comments:

  1. Nice cakes! :-) Glad you got to know your neighbors a little....Brad met Mavis for the first time the other day. I look forward to meeting her and Mats (and other neighbors) this spring and summer too (once I get my teeth fixed, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, that looks so yummy and typical English! I love English Scones, Muffins, cakes & Co and I was so disappointed when the Mark & Spencer stores closed in France about 10 year ago. So at every time being in London, I make my stock with M&S food stuff ;o)
    Have a wonderful evening, Julie !
    xo
    Britta

    ReplyDelete
  3. You absolutely out did yourself. Everything looks so delicious. I'm sure your neighbors had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete