THE SOMMER STUGA
This picture was taken at the height of summer last year...
When I think of our Sommer Hus this is the picture I always conjure in my minds eye
This morning at 9.30 as it was mild and dry with a slight warming breeze we decided to head up to the the Stuga to make a start on repainting the porch and steps, which Big J renewed last April, along with a new porch roof.
Here is a before picture of the grotty roof and rickety steps and porch side on...
Rotten wood and no guttering
I gave it a first coat today, which I must say I am thrilled with!
It is a typical Swedish blue
called SiljanBla, like the famous lake in Darlarna.
LAKE SILJAN
Anyway all this repainting, is a work in progress as we are really dependent on the weather.
I promise to post with the finished results!
Whilst I was waiting for paint to dry and hubby was still working his way through each individual post and rail, I decided to do some weeding in one of the borders.
I needed to get the garden hoe from the shed. I passed the porch steps and making my way around the corner of the house towards the shed... as quick as a flash I retreated
with a loud EURGH!!! OMG OMG...
I made a quick sprint up the porch steps in SHOCK.
(Hubby was expecting a big brown bear to be following)
But No!
An inch from my clog...almost about to tread on it ...
was a BLACK ADDER S N A K E,
head up and body coiled in an S shape ready to attack...
I haven't figured out how to upload a photo from a very old Nokia phone, I am working on that.
In the meantime here is a picture I got from flickr belonging to Pilsnerjohan
And some info fromWikipedia if your of the nature type
Youngest son, uploaded for me finally.
After a full blown panic attack that put an end to painting and gardening for the rest of the day!
The afternoon turned out to be really warm and sunny.
Perfect fishing weather...so at 5pm Big J and Little J headed to a nearby lake for some
Father and Son quality fishing time.
Little J came home with the bounty!
LOOK!
And...
Just as I was finishing off in the garden, back home I discovered this lovely blooming primula
I think it is a Cowslip?
Primula veris
I hope you enjoyed a walk on the wild side with me :-)










Lovely, lovely pics! I would have fainted at the snake! xxx
ReplyDeleteuuh - how exciting...!But your house looks sooo lovely! Thank you for you lovely comments at my blog. Wish you a beautiful rest of the week! hugs from cold and rainy germany, Tanja
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful summer house. I love it. That snake, though? YIKES!
ReplyDeletehi Julie have just read your blog, really enjoyed info, photo's etc. house is looking good Dadx
ReplyDeleteHi! Jon did a great job on the new steps and rails! That's scary about the adder snake/huggorm. I don't think I told you that Melody and Melinda were close to one a couple of weeks ago, in the field across the road from our house. All of a sudden Melody started screaming since the snake was laying there in the sun and they had to walk by it to get back. I went and walked with them, holding a good distance to the snake. They only attack if they feel threatened... They are the most poisonous in Spring though so one need to be careful. We saw a few when we were out berry picking when I was little and I was taught to "stomp my feet" since that scares the snakes away. Anyway, did you know that you can eat the cowslip flowers - they are yummy. But they are too pretty to eat unless you have lots of them. :-) They are called gullviva in Swedish by the way.
ReplyDeleteEnough from me. :-)
Hello! Have just found your blog so thought I would have a lovely read through it. Love the house you're painting, but not that horrible snake - yuck!
ReplyDelete